|Waterloo Shop, Salop Road, Welshpool|
William’s headstone has always been a point of interest in the churchyard for the inscription ‘Known to be buried in this churchyard’. The headstone was erected in 1961 by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. On reading the letters exchanged between them and the parish church wardens, it transpires that no burial plan was kept of the churchyard. The church wardens assisted the CWGC to locate the grave by enquiring with the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry Comrades Association. One of the members recalled being a bearer at William’s funeral at Christ Church and it would appear that on this evidence alone, the headstone was erected here (interestingly the burial record appears to indicate that he is buried in St. Mary’s churchyard).The portland headstone is situated next to the drive, in a plot that is obviously too small for a burial and the headstone faces the church, rather than facing east.
William’s name does appear on the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry commemorative plaque in St. Mary’s Church. However, his name is not on the town war memorial.
We can only presume that William Edwards answered the call to arms in 1914 and died, perhaps of ill health, shortly afterwards.
William’s story is on display as part of the ‘Remembering the Fallen of the Great War at Christ Church’ exhibition.
Previously published stories of WW1 memorials at Christ Church can be seen here