A couple of years ago we featured a photograph of the above inscription as an Image of the Week, which Karl discovered as he was working near one of the clerestorey windows. Recently we have been working near the same window, and have discovered another inscription! It is on the reverse side of the glass, suggesting that they as ‘Painters and Plumbers’ perhaps repaired this window by re-leading it and after inscribing the glass, put it in the other way round.
It is wonderful to stumble across these connections to past – people who have worked on the building who obviously have pride in their work.
The recently found inscription reads: E Thomas Painter Welshpool Sept 25 1879